Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day Thoughts

In honor of Election Day (by the way, we voted the first weekend of early voting), I thought that I would share an article written by a regular over at Times and Seasons. I am sharing it because of several reasons.... 1. I am shocked to see an article written by someone who is LDS, that doesn't line up with what most of "us" think. 2. I am a staunch Republican. I have always agreed with everything that the Republican party has stood for. Well, that is until George Bush screwed up our country in so many different ways (and yes, I did vote for him both times. But I have decided that if something just isn't working, you need to try something new. And yes, I am still a Republican despite these feelings). 3. Years ago even before John McCain ran against Bush, I couldn't stand him. I have always felt that he is a Democrat in Republican "clothing". Ian and my parents could tell anyone that I have never liked the guy. 4. I soon discovered after Sarah Palin was added to the Republican ticket, that I knew more about politics than she did (I am talking about pre debate schooling). If I wouldn't trust myself (with the knowledge that I have on International and National dealings, laws, etc), how could I trust a woman that looked so sadly pathetic during simple interviews.

I know that being LDS, we have many values that line up with the Republican party. And I definitely still have those values. But I feel like our country just can't take another 4 years that are similar to the last 8. I think that the Republican party needs a shake down, and if voting against it is the only way to get us back to the old, or shall we say Reagan, Republican party, then so be it. Oh and let it be known that if Romney would have been the nominee, I totally would have stood by the man that would know how to fix this economy. I would have even possibly, just maybe, even voted for McCain if he would have chosen Romney as his running mate. But alas, he did not. So here I am, saddened by the party that I call my own....

Below is the article that I fist referenced. I hope that it will make you think rather than just react angrily. I found it to be very interesting and enlightening to read this from an LDS perspective.


6 comments:

Abbie said...

Really, I hate both of the candidates. I really do. But one guy scares the crap out of me more than the other. I think it will be *interesting* with either guy as president.

BTW, I also hate Palin and Biden, but I feel very blessed to be free and live in a America (for the record). At the end of the election we will still live in the greatest country.

Shankar said...

Great post. Whether I agree with you or not is immaterial (mainly because I'm not a US citizen and so can't vote anyway), but I admire your thinking.

Anayansi said...

i'm not a biden fan either. i totally agree with you abbie. i feel like it was choosing the lesser of 2 evils.

thanks shankar. it is rare when i don't do a post about my kids. :)

Jana said...

I'm Mormon, a Republican, a fiscal conservative, and I voted for Barrack Obama.

The day after I feel wonderful. Fifty years from now compare and contrast the Bush legacy to this election. I draw peace with having been part of the peaceful revolution.

I don't pretend to like Obama's policies. The next 4 years will require me to double round and fight the worst of Obama's ideas. But compared with the current GOP offering in which I find little to like, it was an easy choice.

Dave F (Ian's mission comp)

Sam said...

Amen to your comments. I think it's time for a true conservative party to emerge. Not Libertarian but fiscally and socially conservative! Remember when republicans were known for spending cuts and balanced budgets, there is now not a dimes worth of difference between the two parties. Remember in 2004 Kerry was considering McCain as a running mate. I wish he had picked Leiberman for VP then the conservatives would have jumped ship!

Anonymous said...

Obama winning just lets me know the second coming is right around the corner!!!!!!!