Monday, August 4, 2008

Black Thumb This!

When Ian and I were first married, my mother gave me a cactus. She told me that it wouldn't be difficult to keep it alive because I hardly would have to water it. So I put the cactus in our kitchen window and watered it. After a few weeks, I decided to water it again. ....OK, maybe a month or so. Needless to say, I killed the cactus.

My family has continued to tease me, because really, who kills a cactus?!

When I announced in the spring time that I was determined to have a vegetable garden, I was teased once again. As family has come to visit, they have all been shocked to see that I had not killed my plants (at least the ones that are within the sprinklers' reach). :)

***The plants that are on the deck are almost all dead. Somehow, the rosemary plants' desire to live, has allowed it to do so.***

Anyway, I am pleased to announce that we ate tomatoes, cucumbers, and bell peppers from our garden yesterday! And we have a bunch of tiny green beans growing! So ha! I don't kill everything (thanks to the sprinkler system)! Maybe my thumb isn't so black! Oh yeah, I'm a gardener....

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm impressed! Like you I am determined to grow a vegetable garden, when we get into a place with a yard. I also want to buy chickens so I can have fresh eggs within arms reach each day.

Erica and Orlando said...

Congratulations! I would love to have a garden, but I can't keep any of my plants alive. Maybe one day I will give it a try.

hoLLy said...

yea! you go girl! :) i actually grew some veggies this year too. a first for me!

erica, you should give it a try. i didn't think i could do it either!

MartyE said...

Woohoo!

I love gardening. Well, I don't actually do it, but I love the idea of it. Maybe one day! You've inspired me.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
cyndi/mom/nana said...

There's always something special in seeing things grow. Great pleasure in knowing you accomplished a task. And much comfort in tasting the fruits or vegetables of your labor. Good for you. Consider the curse of the black thumb GONE!!

Unknown said...

The first step in filling your home with plants is to find the right kind- ones you can't kill. Look for hardy plants that require little care and low lighting such as the Cast Iron Plant, Rubber Plant, Snake Plant, and Dragon Tree. Other good options are succulents such as Jade plant or Aloe. Others that require minimal sunlight, such as prayer plant and pothos are great lower lying plants. Ficus is one of the more popular plants to have in an office or home, but I've found it requires a good deal of sunshine.

If you like flowering plants, African violets are a great way to start. In fact, it was an African violet plant that turned my black thumb around. The plants are relatively easy to care for and are generous with blossoms in many shades of purple, pink, and white. They do require lots of sunlight so find a window to set them by. You may need to pinch off the underlying leaves occasionally to promote new blooms. Other easy-care flowering plants are begonias, bromeliads, peace lilies, and kalanchoe.

Better than my last post huh?
Your friendly father-in-law, just tryin to help.