Monday, February 23, 2009

Two Sisters, No Kids, and a Whole Lot of Nashville

So I just returned from Nashvegas. And boy was it fun just hanging out with my younger sister Heidi. I went to celebrate her 28th birthday. My mom and dad came to our place to watch the girls (yes, Ian was there too but very busy with work). Thanks to them I was able to take off for 5 days and not worry about the kids or the hubby.


Since I was last in Nashville, Heidi moved into a new place (her place is behind her in the above picture). She is now the neighbor of Bill Frist (former senator of Tennessee).


His house is the one below. He is literally the next door neighbor of her. A fun little tid bit of info.


One night, we went to see The Pajama Game (one of her friends gave us the tickets). It was fun to go. But while we were parking (we were late and it was so darn cold), we (and I mean Heidi when I say we) had problems paying and ended up paying twice! Luckily the tickets were free, but $20 for parking was somewhat frustrating.

After the show, we (and by we, I mean I) were hungry. Heidi is a carrot cake freak so she took me to a place that she loves to go for carrot cake. I of course wanted something salty so we ordered carrot cake and a loaded potato.


Now let me just tell you, we were getting funny looks from the waiters because of our food combo. But we liked it and were filled up for a mere $10.93! (check it out below) I just have to say that I was very impressed by my frugalness. Yay me! High five to myself and my cheapness!




The next morning we went to Pancake Pantry. It is famous in Nashville for it's pancakes.


Here we are standing in line waiting to fill our tummy's with some sweet potato pancakes. We stood in line for an hour. Supposedly the line was quite short that morning.

We finally got in. And I had to take a picture of Heidi messing with her Blackberry. You see, normally when I am home or on a trip with the hubby, he is doing this (see below). But I was away from the hubby and I still had to deal with this (see below) the whole time.


Once we got our food, I knew that it was well worth the wait. The syrup alone filled my heart and tummy with the greatest of joys...ooo that was good cinnamon syrup. I highly recommend eating at this place.

Baby happy! ( I am Baby. Hah! I got you!)

After filling ourselves with pancakes, eggs, and hashbrowns, we walked around (hoping to burn whatever calories that we could before it got cold again).

One of the places we went to was Posh, a boutique in Nashville.

There was an article in Elle Decor that mentioned the exact one that we went to:

"Hillsboro Village, a neighborhood near the Vanderbilt campus, is like a compact version of New York's SoHo, and it's here that Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood find edgy fashion at Posh."

So I found a fun pair of boots here. I couldn't leave the store without them. I mean that I literally could not. I am very indecisive (as you all know) and couldn't decide whether or not to buy them but I refused to leave the store without them. So what's a girl to do...I had to buy them!

We decided that that night would be an order pizza/rent a movie night (it was supposed to snow). So we rented Mama Mia. I think that we were the only 2 females in the U.S. of A to have not seen it yet. I had heard mixed reviews. It was cute and cheesy. I wouldn't recommend it (even though I know that you have all seen it). One thing that the critics had said that was absolutely true was that Pierce Brosnan sounded like a water buffalo. Too true, too true.

I had a great time with my sister. I was able to attend one of her classes. She was amazing! I knew that she was a great speaker but this was a completely different level of amazingness (love the anayansi-ism). I would have loved to have a professor that was as engaging as she was.

One thing that I should have known but didn't, was that in Nashville, everyone is a singer/songwriter. Everywhere that we went, people were claiming to be making an album or just performing somewhere. It was quite funny. Even a guy working at Sprint was telling a customer about it. Oh, and the picture of Heidi and me in the line at the Pancake Pantry...yup, that was taken by a "singer/songwriter". Too funny.

Well that is a quick overview of my trip. It was much needed on my part. I had a wonderful time with my sister. And had a great time seeing even more of Nashville. I highly recommend the Pancake Pantry (the cinnamon syrup is to die for).

Happy Birthday Heidi! Welcome to edge of your 20's! :)



Thanks Mom and Dad for watching the kids. I definitely couldn't have done it without you two.

8 comments:

Abbie said...

How fun! I want to go to Nashville now. I've always wanted to be a singer/songwriter (haha). You and your sister are gorgeous, btw. Welcome home. We missed you.

Shankar said...

I didn't have nearly as much of a problem with Pierce Brosnan's singing voice as much as I did with his singing face. He looked like he was undergoing a proctology exam every time he sang. Still, you ever think you'd see the day when James Bond, Mr. Darcy and Will Hunting's professor would sing a song together? Me neither.

Tara D. said...

Happy belated birthday Heidi! And Nashville sure looks like a ton of fun.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I'm still having syrup withdrawls. Love you lots and I'm so glad you came to hang with your beautiful disaster of a sister.

brooke said...

Hey Anayansi! Looks like you had a blast. I'm jealous you got to have time away with your sister and no kids. How fun. You deserve it. You and Heidi are so stinkin cute. Next time you guys go party, maybe you should throw a little sister n law in the mix so I can tag along :)
I am in NEED of a vacation. What fun! I miss you. Lets talk soon.

fourballerinas said...

Wow, I'm just drooling over the FIVE days without kids or husband. I've never done that! Sounds like you had an amazing time. Those must have been some pretty darn good pancakes to wait in line that long. and... that was a pretty darn big potato and for only 10 bucks. I love your frugalness. But... how much were those amazing boot? and lets see a picture of them. I won't be going on any childless trips any time soom.. seeing as that I have one along for a 9 month joy ride. What a shock for us. Looks like I'll have double what you have. Talk to you soon.
Audrey

hoLLy said...

that looks like a GREAT time! how fun you got to go on a sister trip!