Wednesday, October 8, 2008

10 Years



The other day, I received an email from my older sister, Anita, about a Breast Cancer Walk that she is participating in this weekend. I hadn't realized that it had been 10 years since our mother has been cancer free. It brought a flood of emotions to me.

My mother had breast cancer twice. The first time, I was in elementary school. I remember being in either 4th or 5th grade and having to go sleep at our friends' house (my mother's best friend with kids our ages). I remember saying goodbye to her as she and my dad dropped us off on their way to the hospital for surgery. I felt scared and sad. I didn't really understand it all but I knew that it was very serious. I have always been very close/attached to my family and just spending the night away from them was hard. Pam, Mom's best friend, did a great job at trying to keep us busy. Despite this, I was sad and scared the whole time.

My mother came home and things went back to normal. To a child, it was as if nothing had ever happened.

As a freshman in college, my mother found out that she had cancer again. All the memories came back to my thoughts. This time it was different. I understood the situation. I understood the possibilities, both good and bad. It truly was scary.

My mom had 2 surgeries the second time around. The first time they thought that they didn't remove all of the cancerous cells. So they had to go in again.

After she came home, I became her nurse (Daddy wasn't quite as gentle). I cleaned her. I changed her bandages. I fed her. Seeing your mother as the one that needs to be cared for is a humbling experience. You become like the parent, wanting to take the pain away from her. And you become the one that tells her not to worry, that her daughters will not go through what she has. That she doesn't have to be sorry about passing that gene on.

Now, here we are 10 years later...

My mother is one of the strongest people I know. I am greatful for her love, her determination, and her example. I know that she is one of the greatest blessings that the Lord has given me. He has blessed our family through her life. Thanks to Him, my children get to love this incredible woman and learn from her, just as I have.

Mommy/Mama, we love you!

7 comments:

hoLLy said...

i love your mom too! :) i'm so glad she is cancer free now!

Probative said...

Great Post. Here's to Mama.

Liz said...

Congrats to Ana for a battle hard fought and well won! Give her my love!

Abbie said...

I hope I have that kind of relationship with my daughters. Thanks for sharing this.

cyndi/mom/nana said...

Thanks for sharing your insight to breast cancer. Many times we don't associate all that goes on unless it's happening to us. It's great to know that your mom is cancer free ten years now seems like it was yesterday. We are happy for her to have fought this brave battle. Love to your mom and family.

Marty said...

Wow, I had no idea that you and your family had been through that. Your mom must be a very strong woman. How wonderful that she has been cancer free for 10 years.

Unknown said...

Props to Mamita! This post is wonderful and the picture is awesome too. Your daughters are going to think/admire you as much as we do to Mom. How could they not, with a mug like yours? ;)